In today's yummy post we are doing an easy sponge cake (no creaming of butter and sugar involved). Instead of torting this cake we are using two loaf pans to give us our two layers, which we will pull together with vanilla buttercream. I love the rectangular look of this cake rather than the traditional round or square but more importantly the flavors of the toasted coconut on the sides and fresh fruit on top makes for a mouth watering dessert.
Recipe: Kyra's hot milk sponge cake
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the milk and butter in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, stir together the flour and baking powder in a bowl, mixing well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs to break them up. Whisk in salt, then whisk in the sugar in the stream and continue to whisk for about 30 seconds or until the mixture has lightened somewhat.
- Whisk in extracts. Gently whisk in the milk and butter mixture, then use the whisk to gently incorporate the flour mixture in about 4 additions, whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cakes are well risen, smooth, deep gold and firm when touched in the center with a fingertip.
To complete your cake toast some desiccated coconut flakes, preferably a larger size for more texture and apply over your buttercream frosting. The great part about this is that you don't have to smooth your sides perfectly with the buttercream since we are applying the coconut over it. Keep the top of your cake coconut free and add some simple roses or swirls; I used Wilton tip 1M for a small border. So now just apply any of your favorite fruits (I'm using mandarins and maraschino cherries) on top and your cake will be completed and you will look like a cake pro!
Dell'amore e Della Bellezza