Session 5: This is our last session of makeup. Boo hooo! But it ended with a bang; here we had to do bridal makeup for three different brides; a Christian bride, Hindu bride and African Bride.
The Christian bride’s makeup is based on her wedding theme colours. The Hindu bride has the traditional sari colours of red, yellow and white with gold accents. The African bride’s makeup has to match her colourful but earthly tones of her head piece.I was selected as the model for the Hindu bride’s makeup. With time restraints we could only do the makeup to match the red sari. So for this one you can go all matchy matchy with red eye-shadow but this is so not recommended. You want to go with pinks and burgundy instead. So that’s what my classmates did for me. Pinks on the eyelid with burgundy on the outer corner and gold for the highlight. I am really not alone when it came to liquid eyeliner since they had problems applying just like me. So after repeated attempts, many smudges and fixes, it all came together. Here’s the final look.
Session 6: Our first class on nails and we learnt the steps to a proper manicure. Before we started we learnt how to properly set up our work station and etiquette of a nail salon.
Basic Manicure steps include:
1. Remove old nail polish
2. Ask client about desired nail shape
3. Shape nail with file
4. If stained buff off nail or use hydrogen peroxide
5. Prepare finger bowl with warm water and add a few drops of antibacterial liquid soap
6. Use cuticle remover around the cuticles and place hand in prepared finger bowl
7. While the first hand is soaking repeat steps 1-4 on the other hand
8. Remove first hand from finger bowl and dry with hand towel. Use cuticle pusher or orangewood stick to push back cuticles. Trim with cuticle nipper if necessary.
9. Repeat step 8 on other hand
10. Use nail brush and clean under nails and cuticle areas on both hands. Dry off.
11. Apply cuticle oil and massage hand from elbow to fingernail with hand lotion. Note: The purpose of the massage is to send blood to the fingernail to ensure healthy nails
12. Apply nail polish remover to clean off grease from nails
13. Apply base coat, then polish
14. Apply nail art design if desired
15. Seal off with top coat
While the steps itself looks a bit much for a beginner, it is actually quite simple and can be done within 45-60 minutes. The hardest part for me was trying to do the massage but practice makes perfect. I’m off to practice on my mom!
Your China Doll